Sunday 1 February 2009

Helly Hansens to keep me warm.

~more snow on the way~
As I sit at my computer, I hear the tap tap tap of snow hitting the window. It is a rather comforting sound when one has just come out of the cold and gales.
As soon as the snow started to fall, I knew I was going to go out, as I cannot resist walking in the snow. My two sisters and Julia who is visitig from America were getting ready to go horse riding and proclaimed me mad when they realised I was going out in the weather by sheer choice!
By the time I got to the south fields, I was beginning to regret the fact that I have not bought a pair of gloves in about 4 years. As I had my camera in my hands, they had no protection from the wind which was blowing about 40mph and had a windchill probably of about -9'C (no joke). After 20 minutes of pointing a camera and shooting, they were beginning to be in serious pain from the cold. I have never felt actuall pain from the cold before and found it a very... odd experience.
After walking a little way, I remembered to look behind me (as you should always do when walking as usually, the most beautiful scenery is behind you). I saw a wall of white advancing on me and this next blizzard was so thick that it very almost blocked out the sun. The surrounding countryside went eerily dark and this was when I decided that since everything around me was dissappearing in snow and my fingers actually wouldnt work to press the camera shutter anymore, it was time to go home.
As I trudged back to the house, I glanced at the ground and saw that the puddles had frozen over in the last 10 minutes. there must have been quite a temperature drop. Even the hems of my jeans had frozen so therefore, I click-clacked my way home and after a bit of negotiating, got my fingers to turn the keys in the lock. Dad greeted me with a cry of "isnt it cold!" and handed me his pair of huge Helly Hansen mittens which warmed my fingers up enough that they were able to start hurting. I think I prefered numb fingers personally.
I leave you with the last picture I took. Just to prove that 40mph winds, minus temperatures and numb fingers do not necessarily mean you cant have a fun time!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun time regardless of the frozen fingers! I hate the cold so You wouldnt catch me out there regarless of how beautiful it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh Fizz, next time put the Helly Hansen mittens on BEFORE you leave the house, not when you return!!! Saw on the news that London got 6 inches of snow, how much did you get? Great pics today!

    ReplyDelete