Friday 13 February 2009

Ice, Snow and sore fingers

The winter it seems, is having a last final fling before the days get warmer again. Yesterdays Ice was not the coldest, iciest or harshest of the winter, but it was without a doubt the prettiest. I walked down to the Fynn valley and the little stream that runs down the hill had frozen overnight. The ice had clung onto rocks, pebbles, leaves (or anything it could find) and had grown outwards from them. Little stars of ice were clinging to pebbles and twigs and it was enough to make me almost 'Google' how ice would form like that. Almost. The clouds decided to give us snow aswell! Julie 'Raingear' on last nights weather forcast was showing us snow on the map of East Anglia and so, I was about to call to the parents in order to tell them this little snippet of information, when Mum yelled from the front garden "SNOW! haha!!!". "Well that was prompt!" was the thought that ran through my head. We got about an inch of snow I think, and it was still snowing when I went to sleep. I had a guitar lesson last night! Ruairi came over with songs and his fearsome electric guitar and taught me lots of complicated chords (which I managed to pull off -just-) and then he tried to teach me the dreaded 'Music Theory'. I dont think that this particular part of music tuition should be called 'Theory'. It should be called 'Music Insanity' as it almost drove me to tears! I do not cry over little things like this but I could feel myself get more and more stressed as Ruairi was telling me why chords can be diminished, minored, and majored (I dont have a clue about if I'm gettting all this right) and as more and more information just whent right over my head. I have taught myself to play the guitar over the years and have NEVER been able to read music so I think Ruairi must be imagining me as something of a musical dimwitt (there's an image?) I shall try however to learn the chords he gave me and try to not notice the fingers that are in too much pain from steel guitar strings.

9 comments:

  1. Ah, music theory!… ~Angel girl folds arms and shakes head adamantly, then turns and runs away~... hmmm… sounds eerily familiar! lol! Ah yes I have nightmares of music theory! I just always played by ear… still do. Not guitar, but electric bass and keyboards…. Now there’s an image for you! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha its a good Image! we should start a band. "deadliest angels" anyone? LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..."Deadliest Angels"... love it! Sig played drums in High School... ya think he'd be interested in joining our band... he may make us change the name tho... LOLOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another snippet of info I didn't know!!! trying to imagine Sig playing drums. a fantastic thought! LOL!
    hmmm new name... "coffee, chocolate, cigarettes." LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh some snippets I didn't know either. I can play piano (5 dreaded yeras of hymns and Beethoven/Bach), that squeaky thing called a clarinet (I should forget), guitar, a little bass and of course the triangle and xylophone. HMMM... Edgar plays guitar, and with Sig on drums I wonder what Norman plays... Now my mind has gone back to the days I hung out with my brother and his bands not to mention the musicians I dated. Oh I see some nightmares tonight. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5+ years of Cello. I can figure out songs on the piano and flute. I can read music in a few scales with a quick refresher course <4 seconds worth>. But Id never playin public cuz Im too dang shy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha! I ouldn't play in public either apart from the fact that i stuck my foot in it and stupidly volunteerd lmao!
    hmmm! edgar and fizz on guitars, angel girl on bass, Sig on drums, Ang on piano and Kim heading up the strings departmenton Cello! what a noise we could make lmao!

    ReplyDelete
  8. … Who’s gonna sing?… ~Angel Girl sticks out her arm~… (Go ahead, twist it)… Ouch! OK, alright already!…I’ll do it! lol! OMG, we’ve created a monster!

    ReplyDelete