Monday 23 March 2009

And now, The Shipping Forecast.

On our travels this weekend, we heared the shipping forecast not once, but twice! Broadcast for ships underway in the waters near Great Britain, it lists the weather conditions in all the different sea areas among which are fabulous place names such as: Viking, Dogger, Fisher, German Bight and even the Faeroes and Southeast Iceland.
The Shipping forecast is loved by many, even those who never even go out to sea! The way it is read is somehow very relaxing. It is always a big deal when it comes on the radio and in my family, you can see people visibly prick up their ears and listen up as soon as they hear it. Both times we heard it this weekend we were travelling either to or from Granny's house and it somehow nicely bookended the trip. I am now getting used to all the weather jargon and I like to tell myself I am in training for when I own my own boat! after beating my fear of boats last year, I now always love the thought of being on the water!
~~~
This shant be my only post about my weekend, There were too many photographs and too many things to tell, so I thought two parts would do it. Tonight is an "artsy" evening (or so it would seem) and so, after a couple of artsy photographs, I shall introduce you to a band that I have just found out about, The John Butler Trio. I am amazed at the guitarist. when I started playing the guitar, it was my aim to get as good as this. I now realise that I shall never be this good and I should just enjoy listening to the people who have this talent and who want to share it.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely NOT whale music! What an amazing guitarist!

    ReplyDelete