Thursday 15 January 2009

My fingers Froze!

I thought I would start my blog today with one of my favourite pictures of the year so far. Mum and I went for a walk today at Felixtowe and I am so glad I took my camera!
This little boat was coming back from fishing but it was taking the dangerous route of the Shipping lanes to and from The Port of Felixtowe. To give you an idea of how small this plucky little boat was, when she passed a buoy in the shipping channel, the buoy was as tall as the wheelhouse!
You can't tell from this picture but the wind was about 25mph and the windchill must have gone into the minuses. Enough to make your eyes water! I love compasses. I love the fact that they will always point you in the right direction and they do not lie (unless you are using a magetic compass in a car! Compasses have a tendancy to lie under those circumstances). deadliest catch fan moment: I happened to notice that the NW pointer was pointing NW! (shock horror!) and actually was pointing in the direction of where Dutch Harbour would be from here! so to Sum up, Northwest was pointing to the F/V Northwestern! I just thought I would show you guys from America the hilarity of hazard signs in England. This person does not seem even the slightest bit concerned that he has just walked off the edge of the dock! The HS Discoverer was in port today! I cannot tell you how much I wanted a bucket of paint so I could change it to HS Discovery! some of the Port of Felixtowe "svitzer" tugboats. My favourite is the larger one on the left called "Svitzer Melton"
And here is one of the wierder sights of the day! Aparrently this boat is helping to build a new dock terminal, and the four posts standing upright on the boat are actually legs so that the boat can use its crane to lift heavy things without rocking too much! ---
This was such a cold walk that 3 hours after getting home, my fingers are only just beginning to unfreeze! I think I can now cradle a cup of coffee without giving myself chillblains. So! off to the kitchen for Coffee I go!
Skål!
(that is "cheers" in Norwegian!)
aaand for all the chocolate fans out there, "Candy-mania!" from our meal out last night. The super sickly pudding that got half eaten, then some was added to Craig's coke, then Budwiser was poured into the last little bit. (actually quite nice!), The funniest bit though, was when Craig found Space dust in his Coke!

4 comments:

  1. Nice pics again Fizz!… Only a Northwestern fan can relate to the compass thing!… Gotcha back on that one! As for the sign, yeah, shouldn’t the guy be like waving his arms or something?!? Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE all the boat pics! Very neat. It's amazing the variety that is out there. AND that chocolate thingy...you are making my mouth water...major weakness!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Love the pics. The compass thing was pretty neat! yeah the guy on the sign was remarkably calm after plunging into frigid water from the dock lol. Im not going there with the chocolate. Meanie for not sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well if you ever make it over to England hun you will have to pop over to Ipswich and we can go for a candy mania lol! (that extends to any of you guys who want to come!) :D

    ReplyDelete