Monday 12 January 2009

Men with bells on!

The picture you see above, is the product of two days of searching. I knew i had it somewhere! It is a scan of a picture that was taken in 2000, on one of the funnest mornings that can be had in the year! Picture the scene. It is the first day of May. You get woken up by your alarm at 4:30 a.m., stumble bleary eyed from your bed and head for the nearest source of coffee. by 5:00 o'clock you are in the car heading for the coast. As the sky in the East gets slowly lighter, a growing sense of excitement finds you. In half an hour, you are on a beach gazing at a bright spot on the horizon that is beginning to turn a wonderful pink/red colour. The band in the carpark at the top of the cliff starts up and you climb the steps from the beach to join in the fun. This is what i shall be doing on May day this year. We travel to Felixtowe and watch the sun rise over the sea and then have lots of fun dancing with the Folk band and Morris Men! (if you have never come across Morris Men you have missed out on real treat. Grown men dancing about waving handkerchiefs, with bells strapped to their legs and waving sticks! I love Morris men they are a traditional form of English dancing but I have geat trouble not breaking into giggles!). After watching the sun rise at 5:35, dancing and chatting to a man dressed as "the green man" (the green man was a Celtic god of spring who dissappears and returns year after year), everyone bundles into their cars and goes off to have a full english breakfast at the many cafe's that dot the Felixtowe coastline (I am sure May day is how these cafe's stay in business. within a few minutes of people leaving the cliff tops, all the cafe's are packed to standing room only!). This year I promise to take my camera and take lots of pictures for you guys. Especially of the Morris Men and the Green Man! --- whilst I was searching for the picture of May Day sunrise 2000, I stumbled across a picture that I had forgotten about! It was taken a couple of years ago from my bedroom window. I thought I would put it in my post today as it was kinda appropriate (being a sunrise-ish sort of post today).

3 comments:

  1. Definitely take lots of pictures of May day! Love the pics today FIzz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty pictures Fizz! OK, Poi, Morris Men... I am learning! So since I am hungry right now, I'll ask... what does a full English breakfast consist of?...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo all manner of lovely things!
    - sausages,
    - baked beans (yuk)
    - tomatoes,
    - bacon,
    - toast,
    - fried/scrambled/boiled/poached egg?
    - eggy bread,
    and usually a huge cup of tea!

    that was the british lesson for the day lmao!!!

    ReplyDelete